Posted Date: Sep 11 2020
The purpose of the role is to provide scientific and people leadership to teams comprising 5-8 staff within the Medicinal Chemistry Department. You will coordinate and deploy conventional and parallel chemistry resources from the hit-to-lead phase through to candidate selection across several major programs in support of GSK’s Research, Oncology or Global Health small-molecule portfolios. This person will be responsible for managing the delivery of the science of their team, driving the technology strategies within Medicinal Chemistry programs, and will be responsible for each team member’s personal development. The team leader must be able to think flexibly, be driven by the needs of the organization and work collaboratively. Continuous improvement of themselves, the team and the department while maintaining a positive attitude is a key requirement of the position. The role will involve chemistry and / or program data analytics, designing arrays of compounds to test medicinal chemistry hypotheses, designing and executing synthetic routes and leading technological advances in the field. The role also includes meeting GSKs leadership expectations and acting as a role model for others.
- Accountability for the overarching scientific strategy and resourcing for their team to deliver value to Medicinal Chemistry programs.
- Advocate and represent HTC by coordinating and contributing to the molecular design strategies across active and emerging programs from early to late discovery stages. Support early targets and lead discovery efforts through the application of modern parallel synthesis technologies.
- Lead by example through the application of best practices, including computational tools, high-throughput chemistry and automation.
- Contribute to peer reviews of programs within the Medicinal Chemistry portfolio
- Lead and motivate their direct report(s) with vision, integrity, flexibility and clear communication.
- Responsibility for the scientific and personal development of their team
- Responsibility to embody and enforce full compliance with safety guidelines and standard operating procedures
- Responsibility to embody and enforce full compliance with GSK data integrity guidelines
- Serve as a coach and/or mentor for individuals within Medicinal Chemistry.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- A PhD in chemistry or equivalent related discipline.
- Four years’ experience in pharmaceutical discovery.
- Experience in modern medicinal chemistry design with implementation of chemoinformatic tools and techniques.
- Experience in practical organic chemistry and contemporary organic synthesis.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience of hit identification tactics and application of modern analytics and triage strategies to delivery multiple starting points for lead optimization
- Experience designing and evaluating compound sets to adequately assess medicinal chemistry hypotheses
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership within a team setting
- Experience in applying high-throughput or parallel synthesis technologies to accelerate discovery processes
- Detailed knowledge of modern cheminformatics tools and technologies
- Evidence of application of innovative synthetic chemistry to solve problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.