Posted Date: Aug 24 2020
An exciting opportunity in the GlaxoSmithKline Synthetic Biochemistry group has just opened up. The primary focus of this role is to support the discovery and implementation of novel enzyme-based applications at GSK, by participating in the development, screening and optimization of biocatalytic reactions, as well as the exploration of novel applications of directed evolution within GSK’s portfolio of research and discovery. The successful candidate would participate on an interdisciplinary team tasked with providing fit for purpose enzymes to chemistry and biology project teams and broader.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Interact with process chemists and engineers to determine process parameters under which an enzyme must perform.
- Develop appropriate surrogates for process conditions in order to authentically replicate target process conditions in high throughput
- When appropriate, develop immobilized process conditions for enzyme candidates generated from protein engineering efforts.
- Express, test and rank enzyme variants in both HTP and shake flask scales.
- Work with molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, and process chemists to identify and resolve barriers to enzyme evolution.
- Manipulate large-scale datasets using MS Excel and equipment interfacing programs.
- Liaise with scientists & external collaborators at all levels
- Generate conclusion reports, present data in team meetings & participate in writing of abstracts & publications
- Conduct scientific work programs and make contributions both independently and as a member of a team with other R&D staff
- Work through problems logically and apply innovative solutions (appropriate to grade)
- Adopt new technologies and apply them to project work
- Maintain customer focus, motivate self, and demonstrate a high degree of urgency
- Use scientific literature and database resources in the execution of project related work
- Exhibit flexibility, being open to new ways of working
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biotechnology, Chemical Biology, or related field with 1-2 years relevant experience
- Significant hands-on experience in the discovery, development and scale-up of organic reactions
- Experience in enzyme characterization including a background in mechanistic and kinetic studies of enzymatic reactions (Vmax, Km, product inhibition, substrate inhibition, cofactors, redox chemistry)
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams, displaying excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
Experience in the discovery, development and scale-up of enzyme catalyzed organic reactions
Experience with parallel experimentation, high throughput assay development, Design of Experiments, etc.
Experience in the development of miniaturized biochemical assays to drive enzyme evolution toward conditions relevant to industrial manufacturing
Understanding of protein engineering/expression tools and techniques
Broad knowledge of organic chemistry, with particular emphasis on biocatalysis and chirality
Familiarity with or interest in learning automation equipment
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.