Posted Date: Jun 1 2020
Are you looking for an opportunity to use organic, inorganic and physical chemistry combined with syntheses techniques to develop pathways for new chemical entities? If so, this is the role for you.
As a member of Chemical Development, you will use your chemistry knowledge and expertise to develop new chemistry routes for primary manufacture and contribute to the development and deployment of state-of-the-art processes and technologies to enable the delivery of our medicines. This is a highly practical role where you will be working in the R&D laboratories to generate new synthetic routes and process understanding that underpins the successful scale-up and commercial industrialization of GSK’s future manufacturing processes. Your focus will be to combine the information generated in laboratory studies with your strong knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry to develop sustainable pharmaceutical manufacturing routes and processes. As projects advance through development, pilot plant support may also be required across scales, culminating in the transfer of projects to our commercial manufacturing facilities around the globe. The role is highly technical and dynamic as you will be working in a number of multi-disciplinary project teams. You will thrive in this environment if you are able to effectively manage multiple priorities, communicate your recommendations clearly, and enjoy working in teams.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Design and perform experiments in a laboratory setting to meet project timelines and objectives.
- Think creatively to generate new ideas for new synthetic routes and simplifying process problems.
- Ensure that experimental work is communicated effectively at internal R&D meetings.
- Participate in technology transfer activities as appropriate to our manufacturing partners Pharma Supply Chain (PSC), other parts of R&D, and partner Contract Manufacturing Organisations (CMOs).
- Author or contribute to regulatory submissions, patents, scientific papers and other internal documentation relevant to the role.
- Comply with applicable Data Integrity, Quality, cGMP and regulatory requirements in all aspects of work.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or equivalent industrial experience
- Expertise in state-of-the art synthetic organic chemistry
- Scientific record demonstrating excellence in chemistry (e.g. publications, patents, or presentations)
- US work authorization is required for this role. Sponsorship is not available at this time
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Experience in independent planning and execution of experiments
- Experience in independent interpretation of data from experiments and using it to make meaningful conclusions/decisions regarding the direction of future experimentation
- Has the courage to take on ambitious goals and move forward at pace.
- Takes accountability by holding self and others to the commitments that have been made.
- Ability to learn and grow through challenging work and is willing to give and receive constructive feedback as part of an effort to continuously improve.
- Experience in multistep synthesis of complex organic molecules
- Experience with high throughput experimentation for reaction optimization and process development activities is a plus, but not required.
- Experience with Design of Experiments (DoE) is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Experience in implementation of basic kinetic characterization of organic reactions is a plus, but not required.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.