Posted Date: Jan 8 2020
Are you energized by building advocacy for a therapeutic strategy through leadership, education and development of partnerships with key External Experts and Professional Bodies? If so, this Medical Science Liaison role could be an ideal opportunity to explore. This role will cover the Pacific North West and the MSL can be located in any states listed (Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming N. CA).
As a Medical Science Liaison you will be responsible for leadership of the external engagement strategy aligned to the Oncology portfolio, as well as the design & implementation of the external engagement plan including the advocacy plan aligned to Oncology strategies, driving a consistent approach to carrying out engagement activities in the field.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following…
You are expected to interface and provide value across a continuum of both Internal and External Stakeholders. This includes:
Internal Stakeholders (R&D, Sales, and Marketing)
- Work with medical colleagues to identify External Experts, professional groups, decision makers and other key stakeholders in the assigned therapy area and or geography.
- Gather medical voice of the customer and construct and implement effective Medical Affairs strategy and planning through participation in or escalation to internal North America Medical Affairs teams
- Provide documentation for all interactions with HCPs according to applicable policies.
- Provide scientific training for GSK sales representatives regarding GSK products and the conditions they treat utilizing approved Sales Training materials.
- Attend and contribute (if required) to medical portion of regional account planning/training sessions.
- Attend both national and regional scientific/medical meetings to gain medical voice of the customer on recent data being presented on products and disease states of interest to GSK.
- Support clinical development activities and programs including GSK and Investigator sponsored studies as well as collaborating with R&D staff to improve site performance.
External Stakeholders (External Experts and other healthcare professionals within assigned geography/therapy area, investigators and potential investigators, professional societies and formulary decision makers)
- Conduct balanced, peer-to-peer, scientific dialogue with external experts
- Gather medical voice of customer and secure advice that informs and assists GSK in the development of medicines of value, for the ultimate benefit of patients.
- Conduct individual discussions and meetings with GSK-contracted clinical study investigators, steering committee members, advisory board members, consultants etc, on topics related to the work being conducted with GSK (e.g. for clinical research investigators, the conduct or publication of clinical research sponsored by GSK).
- To respond verbally or by providing appropriate written materials to unsolicited requests for on- or off-label information or safety concerns that may have been asked of GSK sales staff or Medical and adhering to all policies and procedures regarding the provision of medical information
- Provide information in response to standing requests from external stakeholders (e.g. HCPs, formulary decision makers), when appropriate information becomes available.
- Deliver oncology scientific / pipeline presentations to formulary committees and HCPs per documented unsolicited request.
- Provide general insight into GSK research interests and field inquiries regarding investigator sponsored scientific or clinical research projects and forward them to appropriate Medical Affairs staff for funding consideration.
- Participate in GSK-sponsored Advisory Boards as requested and in accordance with the applicable policies.
- Provide promotional presentations.
- Deliver affirmative presentations to HCPs and formulary decision makers within the scope allowed by the MSL Practice Policy.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Pharm D, PhD, M.D.or equivalent education
- Two years of experience and success in oncology within an MSL organization
- A demonstrated understanding of the US healthcare environment, including knowledge of health technology assessments and market access challenges
- Understanding of Pharmaceutical ethics and governance; and a clear understanding of pharmaceutical compliance policies and procedures
- Possess solid knowledge of pharmacology and pharmacotherapy in humans and has experience practically applying this knowledge in a clinical setting
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Previous clinical experience in situations where direct/indirect decision making authority for patient care was demonstrated
- Ability to work within large and complex matrix teams
- Ability to facilitate high quality discussions around GSK medicines with external expert
- Ability to maintain a command of a large amount of scientific information across multiple products and show effective written/verbal communication skills
- Clear understanding of clinical research methodologies and a demonstrated ability to translate scientific, clinical and safety research studies in an effective credible manner. Able to independently evaluate the scientific literature regarding scientific research.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.