Posted Date: Nov 9 2019
We are seeking to grow our team with brilliant and diverse contributors with technical ability. We are looking for machine learning experts with scientific / medical domain expertise that want to be part of a team that discovers new medicines. This AI/ML Engineering opportunity is an exciting role that will stretch your knowledge and curiosity, offering the opportunity to learn new skills and work within a global community.
This is a hands-on position where you will be empowered to be creative, ambitious and bold, to solve novel R&D problems and have the potential to directly impact the lives of patients living with disease. We have impressive tool-kits and world class data, and we are now looking for talented people to join us.
This role as Director, AI/ML Engineering will have an emphasis on clinical data and medical informatics. You will use your expertise in medical informatics and machine learning to build novel clinical data featurization techniques that can be used across our clinical project portfolio. You will then play a key role in leveraging those featurization pipelines to build ML models that directly help patients as well as our drug discovery pipeline.
As a Director, AI/ML Engineering, we’d like you to be able to:
- Build a best-in-class suite of tools for featurizing clinical data, taking into account differences in populations, in clinical coding practices, and more
- Leverage the latest advancements in AI/ML to build, test, and validate predictive models
- Advocate for the AI/ML org's clinical data needs with senior leadership of surrounding organizations and partners
- Offer, challenge and solicit advice via peer review to enhance quality, share best practice and embed innovation
- Connect and collaborate with subject matter experts in biology, chemistry, and medicine.
- Lead, or makes major contributions to, industry-wide initiatives as part of an external working group/committee
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Experience conducting and directing independent research in clinical informatics and machine learning
- Background in dynamical systems, condensed matter physics, machine learning, systems biology, statistics, modeling of sequence evolution and ecological population dynamics
- Advanced Degree (PhD, Engineering, Statistics, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics)
- Expert understanding of a programming language such as Python, including experience with object oriented and/or functional programing paradigms.
- Experience with at least one Deep Learning framework such as TensorFlow, Keras, or PyTorch
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively as part of a team to both teach and learn every day
- See Above
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.