Posted Date: Sep 19 2019
We are looking for a Bioinformatician profile with strong skills in data science and bioinformatics.
Who we are?
Within GSK Vaccines we are part of a larger non-clinical statistics team supporting the Technical R&D in process, product and analytical development for novel vaccines.
You will work on all aspects of bioinformatics analysis in Technical Research & Development, which is the R&D department in charge of developing final vaccine products to be used in clinical testing. Routine tasks will include helping with genomic analysis, genetic characterization of vaccines, analysis of expression data, functional and structural analysis of variants etc. You will also help with the development and maintenance of bioinformatics analysis pipelines. You will also be expected to bring creative solutions to a wide variety of biological big data challenges. You will be embedded in a diverse data science team working hand in hand with statisticians, data scientists and programmers, and will also be in direct and permanent contact with bench scientists in the molecular biology and sequencing group. You will be working in a highly interactive and stimulating environment and will be encouraged to actively interface with the internal and external scientific and technical community.
- Project support : You will perform the analysis of a large variety of omics data generated from multiple analytical instruments (NGS, Mass Spectrometry, NMR, etc) and help with the biological interpretation of the results. Familiarity with multivariate analysis techniques and with standard bioinformatics data resources (e.g. NCBI, Ensembl, UniProt etc.) is therefore expected.
- Bioinformatics Pipeline Development : You will develop core bioinformatics pipelines using a variety of environments (incl. Linux, Galaxy, DNA-Nexus) for base-calling, demultiplexing, data quality control, sequence alignment, variant calling, quantifying gene expression etc. You will work closely with internal partners (e.g. molecular biologists) to ensure that the pipelines match required needs. You will implement ad-hoc scripts / packages in Python, R or similar languages to support bioinformatics pipeline development. You should therefore be familiar with basics of code writing best practices (e.g. code versioning, testing).
- Communication/Team work : You will communicate complex analyses results with bench scientists, management and people with different professional backgrounds in all aspects of vaccine product development; excellent reporting skills (oral and written) and team-oriented / excellent interpersonal skills are therefore expected.
- Scientific excellence : You will be encouraged to look out for further research opportunities within the context of vaccine product development. You will participate in the scientific visibility of our department by actively communicating with the internal and external scientific community, by participating to scientific conferences, by linking with relevant academic institutions, and by supporting student projects within the company.
- Stay up-to-date : You will identify areas of opportunities for upskilling the organisation in the application of advanced data analysis techniques such as modern bioinformatics and machine learning algorithms ; You will influence GSK internal policies, guidelines and practices towards modern bioinformatics and data science opportunities.
Who are we looking for?
- University degree (Master / PhD) in Bioinformatics, Data Science, Machine Learning, Computer sciences, or a related field.
- Ideally 2 to 3 years relevant work experience.
- Experience in cross-functional and cross-cultural teams.
- Fluent English required; second language desirable (French).
GSK Vaccines – Our Vaccines business has a broad portfolio and innovative pipeline of vaccines to protect people of all ages. We deliver over two million vaccine doses per day to people living in over 160 countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com.
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist. Part of our R&D programme targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation’s three priority diseases - HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Research into candidate vaccines for other diseases of the developing world, such as dengue are at an earlier stage of development.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we’re looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
We emphasise the value of teamwork and we look for people ready to share our values of transparency, respect, integrity and patient focus.
At GSK we value diversity and treat all candidates equally. We aim to create an inclusive workplace where all employees feel engaged, supportive of one another, and know their work makes an important contribution.
We provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best.
If you have a disability and require assistance during the course of the selection process, you will have the opportunity to let us know what specific assistance you require in order to make suitable arrangements.
Our goal is to be one of the world’s most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies. We believe that we all bring something unique to GSK and when we combine our knowledge, experiences and styles together, the impact is incredible. Come join our adventure at GSK where you will be inspired to do your best work for our patients and consumers. A place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.